When growing your brand or business, it is essential to gain tons of followers. One helpful tip to jumpstart your follower count is to add all the people you know on Twitter. By increasing the number of people you follow, you are increasing the chances of you getting a follow-back.
But what if you don’t know their Twitter handle? Read on to know how to find a Twitter account by email or phone number to get those follows.
And when you’re finished, take a look at our other Twitter guides:
- How to Find Inactive Twitter Followers?
- How to Use Twitter Without an Account
- How To See How Many People Blocked Me on Twitter?
How to Find a Twitter Account Using Email or Mobile Number?
Before, it used to be that finding people using their phone numbers or their email addresses required separate steps. If you are not tech-savvy or just didn’t explore Twitter that much, then you might not even be aware of it.
Good thing, Twitter wants to connect with everyone around the globe and thus made the necessary adjustments for its users.
Now, simply syncing your phone’s contacts list will enable you to find people you know on Twitter. In just one sitting, you can easily follow the accounts of your peers.
Follow these instructions to find a Twitter account by phone number or email:
- Open the Twitter mobile app on your device. (If you don’t have it installed yet, click to download for Android or iOS.)
- Tap your profile icon located in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Next, tap “Settings and privacy” from the menu.
- From the menu, select “Privacy and safety.”
- Look for “Discoverability and contacts” from the list and then tap it.
- Under Contacts, activate the toggle to “Sync address book contacts.” This will automatically add the email and phone numbers of your contacts to Twitter. A profile connected to any of that two info will be easily searchable by you.
- Go back to the main feed, then tap the magnifying glass icon at the bottom of the screen.
- Type in the name of the friend you are looking for in the search box. The results will yield profiles with the same name, and the entry in your contact list will be among them. If you don’t immediately see their name in the suggested list, hit the search button and tap the “People” tab in the search results to filter it.
Useful Twitter Contacts Tips
Here are some useful tips for you to enhance your Twitter experience.
- If the person you are looking for still won’t show up in searches even after syncing your address book contacts, several possibilities might be the situation:
- The person does not have a Twitter account;
- The person did not register with Twitter the email address or the phone number stored in your contacts list;
- The person did not activate their discoverability via email or phone number. So, even if you have their contact info synced, they will not show up in the search results.
- People on your contacts list that have private Twitter accounts will still show up in searches. You just won’t be able to see their Tweets if you don’t follow each other.
- Twitter suggests profiles that you might be interested in following. These are based on your contacts list and other people and topics you follow. The suggested accounts show up in a list under the Who to follow section.
If you love widening your horizon and discovering new things, then you should regularly check out the list of Who to follow. You can also check out other interesting accounts on the site: Best Twitter Accounts to Follow.
- If you want to get updated about contacts to follow even when you are not using Twitter, you may opt to get notifications through your email.
You may turn this notification via email on or off by following these instructions. Go to Settings and privacy > Notifications > Email notifications. Under From Twitter, select Suggestions for recommended accounts and/or Suggestions based on your recent follows.
- If you want more people to follow your account, make yourself easily searchable. Adjust your profile settings by following these steps:
- Tap your profile picture (on mobile) or More (on a computer).
- Select Settings and Privacy.
- Choose Privacy and safety, and then Discoverability and contacts.
- Turn the options on by toggling the switch (on mobile) or checking the box (on a computer) beside Let people who have your email address find you on Twitter and Let people who have your phone number find you on Twitter.
Connecting with people you know on Twitter is made easy by having their contact details on your phone. With just a mobile number or email, you can conveniently search for accounts even if you don’t know their Twitter handle.